Saturday, June 14, 2008

Yearbooks

I am not going to bother with an introduction, not today....too lazy. Instead I will do my first ramble, post, flow of consciousness vent.
Ahh the end of the year, schools ending and that means it's time for yearbooks! You go around asking people to sign, only to come to the conclusion that you might not have any real friends and memories. All you get is HAGS (have a great summer) or "It was nice to have you in my ' ' class."
This leads to two conclusions people are lazy or people have nothing to say. Then on the other hand maybe they don't realize how much this means to you, and just scribble a note. Except the same people write a lot for others. Like my friend for some people she scribbles a couple of sentences, but for her friends she writes a full page in tiny handwriting. Her reason, "I write a lot for the people I like." Perfectly justifiable. But taking the same logic all but maybe three people don't really like me. So as you see yearbooks open up the sad reality of life and that we have so few real friends. More proof of this is that the popular, yet extremely nice girl, lets call her Sally. Sally's yearbooks is full of very long notes, lots of them. Proof: She has lots of good, real friends I don't. Sigh. But I am her to discuss physiology of yearbook notes, not be shallow and annoying.
So Theory #1 aka I want people to feel sorry for me theory revolves around likings. Theory #2 is the plausible, yet making life more confusing theory. Lets go back to the scenario.
Sally enters a classroom full of people, and immediately she is swamped. 7 people run up to her with their open yearbooks all asking her to sign. They are not strangers, pals even and she wants to write more then her name. Except she doesn't have time to think through it, or remember something special so she writes "I loved having you in this class.-Sally"
Does she hate the person, not at all. They are a good friend, but more of the "talk about whatever during class friend", and with the yearbook in front of her, her mind goes blank. That happens to me, so I try my best to improvise. And sometimes even the best heart-felt attempts turn out pathetic. The best entries contain inside jokes, specific memories, something that only you will get. And to think of that for 15 people in 10 minutes....impossible much. Unless you are a brilliant writer, champion at debate, or very good at improv (or steel people's yearbooks over night). So theory #2 brings us to a summary of most of the time people want to write something good, but get nervous freeze up and in the end leave the wrong impression. Then again in an idealistic world notes should be pure, from the heart, and what you have to say to them, this shouldn't take much thinking, unless we all are barbaric morons.
Train of thought seams to lead me into a dead end, so I will try to restate things.
Maybe length isn't as important, as what people actually say. And real things usually take some length to write.
Much better, now back to my inconclusivenesses.
Reasons why people write bland things in yearbooks: Lack of time, creativity, writer's block, they don't like you. And I got some good ones, not all very long, but once that make you smile, and remember the dearest things. Those people are your real friends, but does not doing that mean they don't really care about you? Possibly, but with all the situations previously mentioned, you cannot know. Yearbooks can show how were dear friends, by the good entries, but by the other entries how can you know. To close of I will quote "Write in others yearbooks, how you want others to write in yours." If you want other people to write something special, do the same. Ok.
For fun I will quote one of my favorite signatures, which is under half a page
Hi Tasia,
Get a really hot bf in TJ, alright?
Oh I almost for got isn't kesh (this guy from my bus) going to TJ too (hint, hint)
ha ha....jk. HAGS+HUGS.
Luv,
Neyha Gangsta.


To you it may be weird and "so what" to me it is hilarious.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey...this is ER from the Writer's Draft...

I totally remember having all those "HAGS!!" signed in my yearbook. There was one girl in my class senior year who I talked to a lot, and thought was my friend. Well, obviously not, as all she wrote was "HAGS! It was fun having you in govt!". I was so pissed off. If she didnt really like me, then *why* did she talk to me?

Oh well. I'm sure you have friends Annie!

Abby said...

Hey, It's JL from The Writer's Draft!

I don't really get yearbooks any more, but your article is so true! I remember people writing "HAGS" in my yearbook, and me wondering if they liked me or not.

But, I also have the issues when you get yearbooks thrusted at you and your mind comes to a blank. I hate that! I feel so bad whenever I write, "HAGS" or "Had fun in class." I feel like they won't think that I like them and that I'm just writing junk because they wanted me to sign it.

Awesome job! Can't wait till you post again!
JL

Anonymous said...

I think your thoughts are quite true here. I think signing yearbooks is the same as asking someone "how are you?" -- You don't really care. You don't really want to know. But you do it anyway for like a social greeting or just to say something. People are so... empty at times.
Though I do remember writing:
"I'm the clown
who came to town
To sign your yearbook upsidedown"
And yes it was upsidedown. That was in middle school. although.... thinking back I have gotten some pretty nice notes from my REAL friends. Kind of sad how you just completely loose contact with your school friends and acquaintances after the last day. As said before... people are so empty. signing years books I think also reflects soceity -- we write something quick and conveinent just because we had to. We are uncreative because we have no time and because we really don't care. It was all just... empty.

Sorry... kind of rambled this into a deeper meaning, but yeah.

Roonstown said...

I can totally relate to you on the insincerity of many yearbook comments. What bothers me even more about yearbooks though, is that you pay a hefty amount for them, but can only be guaranteed to be in one photo. I discovered a solution to my problem: TreeRing. This new yearbook company uses technology and an online platform to allow students to personalize 10% of their book. That means every single student will have pages in their yearbook dedicated just to them. This company should appeal to schools too because they bear no financial burden (students buy the books individually) AND the one deadline is very close to the print date. TreeRing even plants a tree for every book printed! You should check them out at treering.com. If only I had this option when I was in school...