Saturday, June 14, 2008

Yearbooks part 2

If any teacher reads this, I want to apologize, if this offends you. I am sorry if I am wrong about you and these are just feelings. If you would like to share your view as a teacher that is welcome and appreciated.


So we covered the basics of students signatures.
But I want to refine a couple of details. As you know and may have experienced someone you expected an extra-special note in your yearbook from, end up writing. "Good times in Geometry, Hags" Familiar? Well like I said previously, don't get too upset. THIS DOESN'T MEAN THAT THEY ARE NOT YOUR FRIEND. There are many other reasons that I brought up before, which can justify, explain why they did that. It doesn't mean they never cared about you, even though what they did was hurtful and rude. Mais c'est la vie.

For now I want to dissect teacher signature, and yes people do ask teachers to sign yearbooks. Why? That is beside the point, and I am not about to go in detail about physiology, except that wonderful teachers exist and you want to remember them. But for the reference, this may not always be the best way to have a thing to remember. I personally suggest taking a picture, with that you expect it to be cheesy. Because seriously the things teachers write in yearbooks are very cheesy. (I am very sorry to any teachers who may be reading this. I am sure the reasons are professional) I am not going to defend either side, but I will argue both, the teachers and the students.
The things teachers right in yearbooks are always so professional, sincere, and proper. Very very very different from students. While it can be justified.....teachers are adults. But sometimes it feels the comments they make are generic, and they do not bother to make it a wee-bit personalized.(Especially if you are sure, they knew you personally, and you were a good student in their class.) And it may not be easy to pull off something like that, and still keep it a teacher's comment, but you could try. People feel good, when they see that there was a personal thought put into their comment. Also these students are leaving the teacher, could it be that hard to leave something personalized to remember. (I am attempting to remain neutral and unoffensive and probably falling miserably! Sorry, I think teachers are amazing to survive at their job, but this is a personal quirk) Then teachers may have nothing to say to their students, but judging by experience there always is something. (Even if it is like one of my 7th grade teachers, who commented on not being able to get my name right for weeks) That was cute and I know she could have not written that accidentally in any book, because most peoples names are much easier too pronounce. And with many things teachers write, all you can do is wonder did they mean it personally or just wrote it. While it make seam like nothing, writing something truly meaningful or personal, make mean a lot to a student.
On the other hand, STUDENTS what do you expect when you ask a teacher to sign. They are teachers, awesome teachers, but they will not sign like a friend. So don't be surprised by what you get. Even, even if they are the coolest teacher in the world, and you are one of their favorite students, you still may get something fairly cheesy. (Though you results may vary).

Now that my venty is done, we can move on to fun analysis. The snarkiness is for laughs, please don't be offended by it.
  • Teachers have a tendency to write I am sure you will succeed in the future or make a special contribution to the world. (No pressure, I hope so too)
  • Or something along the lines of "You are a great student to teach" (hmmm maybe I should have gotten in trouble more, then will you write something more original.
  • And sometimes also, you are creative, nice, have a good personality. (Hmm thanks for the compliment, but how is this compliment special to me?)
Then again maybe, if you were not a distinguished student in the class, the teacher will not have more to say, but if you were, you'd probably expect a bit more.
So I am done and with it I have an epiphany (such a twilighty word) with yearbooks don't have Great Expectation, as people may not take it as seriously as you expect.

Fun Fact: People right more in 8th grade or which ever year you are leaving the school, then in the others.

Done, criticisms is welcome and hailed.

8 comments:

Abby said...

Hey Annie!

I liked this one, too!

I agree with most things that you said. I've asked teachers to sign my yearbooks (when I got them), and they would just write some short, sweet thing.

Ex: It was a pleasure to have you in class.

Basically at my old schools, that's all teachers ever wrote! I always thought that they were being genuine, but when I think about it, I realize that they feel obligated to write something a little bit more than just their names, but at the same time, they cannot be mean.

Loved it,
JL

Anastassia Kornilova said...

See this is the thing, yearbooks make you question so many relationships. For the better or worse.

Anonymous said...

Lol you bring up some good points. I was gone the week yearbooks came out, so mine is kinda empty. I got in trouble for trying to get signatures in physics. :P

Anonymous said...

Ha, the teacher thing is so true. I think some people sign yearbooks to showcase their "awesome" signatures.

Anonymous said...

I guess so... although I don't think that's entrirely true. I don't look up my teacher comments as cheese. i've actually gotten good "results." But. Whatever. Time to sleep. Sorry for the lameness of this comment compared to my last. :p whatev. (Can you tell I'm tired?)

Anastassia Kornilova said...

I am not saying it is only cheese, I am just saying that many times I personally get that feeling.

Anonymous said...

Like your profile. Made me laugh.

Anonymous said...

of course, it also depends on the size of your school. My teachers are able to write personalized stuff because the class sizes are so small-or maybe it's because I'm outspoken.