Monday, July 14, 2008

Sidetracked: Airports

So I was going to talk, write....RAMBLE about camp and yet here is my venty on Air Travel. How did I get to it, simple. See I was going to share some pictures from the best camp on earth! (Novel, you can argue, my camp is still waaaaay bettter) But see not only did they all turn out bad, but I couldn't take more then 20-30 because the battery kept dieing. Why? Because I took our old camera, since it would be suicide to trust a klutz like me with a 500 dollar camera. Or maybe because it could be stolen, but I am pretty sure it is the first. So I took a few pictures and I come back to find out that out new 500 dollar camera is no more, kind of. (Maybe it would have been safer with me).
As you probably don't know I am leaving for Russia Saturday to visit family and etc. But my dad went there to weeks early to take care of business stuff, he arrived, the suitcase not so. And it's been a week, a week! Now we don't have a decent camera and air travel is corrupted. I have been on many, many airplanes and something happens almost every time. And now I rant about it, it won't really do anything, but who cares.
I have to share this first, because it is the best moment of all times, from airplane flying I mean.

So a few years back my dad again, was flying to Russia again. At first it was rather normal, there might have been a delay, but he got to Frankfurt anyway, where he had his stopover. There the problems started, there was something with the weather or something of that nature, but after longer then intended he finally got on a flight.
Departure: Frankfurt
Arrival: Frankfurt
Time: Several hours.
A very long distance, I know. Why?
They took off, flew for sometime, then realized that they still couldn't land where they were supposed to. Decided to go to some other city to land, that didn't work out. Got bored went back. Though my dad eventually did get to his city, that was one useful flight. And this is an absolutely true story, trust me!
Sadly I have no more extreme stories, but I have experienced many of the malfunctions of air travel. None of the tragic ones, just the mundane, yet extremely annoying ones. More then once our baggage arrived after us, but that was only by maybe a day, not a week. Even though my mom's friend was found/arrived 13 days after her on vacation. They were definitely trying to find it.... Plus almost all of our family friends have actually lost, lost luggage on their vacations.
Summary: Don't bring baggage, stuff everything in our purse or just buy it when you get there, and get rid of it, before you go home. That way you will never loose any luggage. I mean I get that it is not easy to keep track of luggage, but airlines are way to careless these days.

Then airlines overbook flights or at least something of that nature. Which can result in two things:
1. They offer you a first class (!) seat on a different flight. Which never happened to me, how lucky, but has happened to a few people very close to me. (I seriously want to fly first class one day, did I mention?")
2. They simply move you to like the next day. This has happened twice so far in my life. Once we were supposed to fly to Italy, but they like overbooked it, so we ended up going home with our suitcases and everything and flying the next day. Hence I never got to see the beach on the West coast of Italy. Then before that, like in 2003, once more we got to the airport with all our stuff. But the military was using the planes (I don't remember exactly, but there was something about the military) so they shifted both of out flights one day. Which resulted in me spending part of my birthday on an airplane. They didn't give me cake or sing happy birthday. Luckily we could go home both times.
A friend of mine didn't get on a flight, though it was here fault, had to spend a night in an airport (Airtran's fault) This apparently can be a very amusing experience.

So then there is security, but I think I should stop myself, because the FBI or CIA or one of those things make come after me. But it has gotten at least 2 manicure kits and a Swiss army knife confiscated. I have just one question, why don't they make scissors and pointy objects illegal everywhere, I mean do they suddenly become extremely dangerous in airports...really. It's a touchy topic....but in Salt Lake City in the airport, you step into this both and it puffs air at you during security. Don't ask? I have no answer.

So this is but part of it, but the fun stuff, later. I need my sleep.
PS Sorry about the awful quality of this, I haven't been writing in two weeks, I need to get back into it.

No comments: