Friday, July 18, 2008

Finally

I couldn't write this before, not because I didn't have the time, believe me I had more then I wanted of it. For me this camp is very special, sacred and I was afraid that if I write about it, I might begin to bawl again, like on the last day. But probably it had to do with the fact that its so much to write about, that it would take a novel to cover those two short weeks. And afraid to loose it all or deal with the reality that I couldn't possibly remember all the details. For no where else do two weeks go by like a minute, yet in the end seam at least like several months. Thats what made it so hard to leave, because the bonds had time to grow deep and permanent with both friends and counselors. Now I might as well get on topic.
About three or four hours from Washington DC, in "The middle of nowhere", West Virginia; surrounded by hillbillies and some important radio telescope where the nearest Walmart is an hour away, exist a place like no others: Camp Hidden Meadows
I found it last year accidentally on the internet. My mom was first reluctant as she had no real credentials, but all expectations were soon turned around. I adored the camp more then anything else, it was a total euphoria. Both from it being such a different experience and because of it's wonderfulness. It's no lie, that this year I was a bit disappointed by all the change. They were silly things, but for one all the counselors were new, though they seldom come back anyway. But both Beth and Shane my two faves from last year were gone, not there. This year they also added two new cabins for girls, as the camp is growing. (In fact one of my two weeks we had the most people ever: 75! My little baby is growing up) While #6 and 7 (the cabins) felt more cramped, as they fit more people, there was one huge perk: They had nice, new showers actually in the cabins...woot! And then there were changes, on the random side.

Look at the above. What color does it look? Well it is the YELLOW house, that is how it was painted and it wasn't changed since. Except now the paint has pealed enough to make it the WHITE house.(ha, no doubt as fancy as the real White House) So now the name was used interchangeably. I then came to the conclusion that creme house works or as Beth said The House, everyone knows what it is. It is the camp store/ administration/laundry/ had a COMPUTER house. Yeah that sums it up.
But before you get bored to death, about the camp itself. I did a lot of things: Wall climbing, high ropes course, horse back riding, archery, mountain biking, art, farm, sailing/canoing/kayaking,rock climbing, caving, I think that sums it up pretty much. Except for our white water rafting trip, but that is a different story. And this activities are rather common for camps, like I said before there are so many other things that make it special. Oh and of course there is the 1000 foot zip line, which is like the largest in the area or something. Here is a video taken on it, by Jess...I think.

It is totally awesome and not a bit scary.
Now if you are still reading this some interesting stuff. Our counselors came from all around the world.
Lesley: An awesome Scottish girl, whose accent (something with not really pronouncing t's became part of a joke)
Random kid: Lesley...
Lesley: No.
Random kid: Say ghetto.
Lesley: (fine) Ghe-o
I have no idea how it started, but it became the inside joke to call things Ghe-o.
Sam: Another wonderful counselor from England, she headed the movement to wake up our cabin with water guns.
Jenny (that is not how you actually spell her name): Is the sweet one from, Germany.
Nicola: She is also from England, and hates being stuck with horses everyday. Then again she is the one who seams not to care about the councler/camper thing. She will sneak with you around at night, what happened to the squirrel (a kid named Josh) in the dark.

Ok so thats all for now, I need sleep. In the next edition: Crazy Danishmen, A surprising arival, and cake fun.

Do share thoughts and comments on your own camp experiences

2 comments:

C. said...

I only got to experience camp for two summers in Waltham, MA. I loved it, and crushed on my male counselors something fierce. I still smell chlorine and pine for the good old days where the only thing I had to worry about was who I was going to trade my lunch with.

Camp rocks.
ALL kids should experience it.

Jennifer said...

Camp is the total shiz on rye bread! I actually just got back from another round, and it was awesome. There were peanuts (river joke!), gators, river food, and canoes galore!! It was so fun!
Camp would take a novel to describe. Possibly two or three. Or more...
-Novel